Has your country ever invaded someone else's on false pretenses, sparking sectarian violence and civil war? If so, can you offer some suggested conversation topics, should you ever meet someone from that country in, say, Turkish class?
Answer: Yes and yes! As it turns out, I found myself in this sticky social situation just today. I don't know how other people have handled it, but here are some topics of conversation I suggest trying out if an Iraqi sits next to you in Turkish class:
- Our freedom: Why do you hate it?
- True or False: The terra-ists have won. Justify your answer
- Didn't you just have an election? That means Iraq is a democracy now, right?
- Cutting and running: pros and cons.
- Don't you worry that the country will be destabilized if Turkey invades Kurdistan?
- The news media never report the good news coming out Iraq. Why is that?
- Why can't you people get along?
I'm counting on these to last through the whole month long course! Does anyone else have any other suggestions?