We are easily distracted by shiny things. And hats. And shoes. The presence of all these things in one media event is enough to throw off our schedule for days. We are not ashamed of this!
Anyway, here are our Top Five Favorite Media Spectacles, Ever. We remember these as much for where we were and with whom we shared bitchy commentary as what actually happened.
1. First OJ Simpson Trial, Los Angeles, 1995. The sine qua non of media events, never to be surpassed. Carpetblogger Trivia: Did you know we were called to be a juror in the second, civil trial? Surprisingly, we were not selected even though we were extremely well-informed about the case. Where is Marcia Clark these days, anyway?
2. Royal Wedding, Istanbul, April, 2011. Nenand's rant about the National Primate of England wearing a Day's Inn bedspread and failing to pluck will be preserved in our skype history forever. And shut up, haters. This is why we love royal weddings.
3. Election Night 2008, Istanbul. Never have we been so happy to lose $300.
4. OJ Low Speed Chase, June, 1994 in a Red Roof Inn in Hartford, CT. Got our catty on with James Grant Goldin using a landline while watching a television.
5. Dramatic Reading of The Starr Report, September 11, 1998 (Whoa. Did you know that?) Portland, OR. Pushing the bounds of office decorum since the mid-90's.
God, we loved the '90s. And to think we didn't even have blogs or skype or twitter in those days. Can we have them back, please?